The J. S. Bach Foundation's monthly concerts begin with an introductory workshop followed by the actual concert. Only a single cantata is performed on a given evening – but, for that, concertgoers have the enjoyment of hearing it twice. Between the two performances, a reflection lecture on the text of the evening's cantata is held. In these lectures, notable personalities from various spheres of society explore the baroque text of the cantata from a modern perspective and from their own, personal point of view. The insight gained from the lecture lends a new and immediate dimension to the second performance.
- Introduction to the concert by Rudolf Lutz and Karl Graf at the Evangelische Kirche in Trogen
- Snacks for workshop attendees at the restaurant Krone in Trogen
7:00pm: Concert with reflection lecture
- First performance of the evening's cantata at the Evangelische Kirche in Trogen
- Reflection lecture on the cantata's text
- Second performance of the cantata
The J.S. Bach Foundation concerts take place in the Evangelische Kirche in Trogen, Switzerland. You can reach the church by car or public transport (see directions below).
After the workshop, a snack is served at the Restaurant Krone across the road from the church.
The Evangelische Kirche in Trogen…
- …is a historical building of national significance under the protection of the Swiss federal government and the canton Appenzell-Auserrhoden
- …was commissioned in 1777 by bridge-builder Hans Ulrich Grubenmann after an earthquake had severely damaged the earlier gothic-style church.
- …underwent a total renovation in 1989/1990
- …has a beautiful Italianate exterior that complements the visual statement of the Landgemeindeplatz, the canton of Appenzell-Ausserrhoden's county seat. The piazza is in many ways an architectural witness to an early wave of globalism: urbane and well-travelled merchants built palatial buildings, lending the square an air of grandeur.
Directions to the concerts
Directions to the concerts in Trogen (Appenzell Ausserrhoden)
Travelling by public transport
The "Trogener Bahn" leaves St. Gallen four times per hour and arrives about 30 minutes later in Trogen. The return train after the concert runs every 30 minutes. The walk from the train station in Trogen to the Evangelische Kirche is approximately 200 metres.
Departure times and alternative routes are available here: www.sbb.ch
Travelling by car
Trogen – via Speicher – is approximately 20 minutes by car from St. Gallen.
- Take motorway exit St. Gallen / St. Finden / Trogen
- Turn right in direction of Trogen
- At crossroads, turn right in direction of Trogen; continue towards Trogen
- At traffic lights, turn left in direction of Speicher/Trogen; follow road
- After 250 metres turn left at crossroads in direction of Speicher/Trogen, follow main road
- Continue through Speicher on main road in direction of Heiden/Trogen
- Continue to the church in the centre of Trogen
Parking at the church in Trogen is limited. Additional parking is available near the fire station depot (car park “Spitzacker”).
“après bach” matinée
Every three months, an “Après Bach” Matinée is held on the Saturday morning or afternoon following a cantata concert the evening before. The matinées are generally held in the conference room at the Krone Hotel in Speicher or in private homes in the central Appenzell region.
Coffee and croissants from 09.15, concert begins at 10.15.